Monday 5 November 2012

Poems inspired by Will




William reminded me to start writing again a couple of years ago, and since then has provided me with a constant stream of inspiration. Here's a couple of poems: 


Bat Walk

 

From this overgrown pond-side path

our torches spotlight still water.

 

Sudden black flashes blaze overhead,

locked on to insects, roller-coasting the canopy.

 

 

You stand spellbound in your fleece and red summer shorts.

 

 

Stumbling back through the woods,

you talk excitedly about how close they came to your face.

 

 

I hold your cold hand tight.

 

 

Happy When I Hum

 

You know that I’m a happy little chappy, when I hum,

I might be eating chocolate, I might be chewing gum,

 

I might be chomping caramels, I might be crunching crisps,

I might be halfway through a bag of cherry-cola lips,

 

I might be sucking polo mints until the packet’s done,

but you know that I’m a happy little chappy, when I hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment